Ginger! We all know this underground root is commonplace in food, drinks (including our favourite, Ginger Beer) and spice cupboards everywhere. But why is it good for us?
A little history first…
Ginger is native to South East Asia and has been known by India and China since ancient times. By around the 1st century, traders had taken ginger to the Mediterranean. Then, in the 11th century it had become commonplace in England.
The Spanish took it to the West Indies and Mexico soon after, and by 1547 ginger was being exported from Santiago to Spain. From there, ginger continued to grow into the ubiquitous remedy, flavouring and spice we know today.
Interesting to know!
Ginger is part of the Zingiberaceae (zuhn·ji·buh·ray·see) family and it's relatives include turmeric and cardamom.
So why is Ginger good for us? Well, where do we begin?
- Ginger Contains Gingerol
- This is one of the main bioactive compounds found in ginger
- It has amazing powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties which may reduce the risk of certain cancers
- Ginger also contains other phenolic compounds such as shogaol and paradol that promote antioxidant, anti-tumor and anti-inflammatory properties
- Helps Relieve Nausea
- Ginger has consistently shown to decrease the symptoms of nausea related to seasickness and pregnancy morning sickness
- Can Help Treat Chronic Indigestion
- Ginger has been shown to speed up the emptying of the stomach, giving relief to those who struggle with indigestion
- Great For The Fellas
- Ginger has been shown to benefit male reproductive health including seminal motility and sperm count in infertile men
- You can find out more about these benefits and their correlating studies here
Learn more about the benefits of Ginger at Examine.com where you can find links to relevant studies
We love ginger at Hits Different! That's why we've stocked up on some amazing ginger drinks including:
- Reed's Ginger Beer
- Somersault Ginger Beer
- PS Organic Ginger Beer
- PS Organic Ginger Kombucha
Check them out here
Dylan, Founder @ Hits Different Drinks