It's the go-to fuel of the modern go getter, work smasher, late nighter, early riser, road trip enthusiast!
Caffeine is the most widely used psychoactive substance (stimulates your brain) on planet earth.
How does Caffeine work exactly?
By blocking the inhibitory neurotransmitter Adenosine (which promotes sleep), it allows the amount of other neurotransmitters (including the feel good dopamine) to increase.
This results in enhanced firing of neurons in your brain which equals, you guessed it - more energy!
Better yet, studies show that caffeine improves:
- Reaction time
- and more..
I can remember being on a strict diet where I needed extra energy to make up for the lack of food I was consuming. So I had 8 pod coffees per day to try and dull the hunger. That would have been approximately 650-750mg of caffeine per day!
So this begs the question... how much is okay to have on a daily basis? Experts suggest you should have no more than 400mg of caffeine per day.
To put that into perspective, here's a few examples of caffeine levels in food/drink.
|Food/Bev||Level of Caffeine|
|Dark Chocolate 30gm||12mg|
|Monster Energy 500ml can||160mg|
|Coca Cola 375ml can||48mg|
|Cup of tea (approx.)||27.5mg|
|Cellucor C4 Pre Workout||150mg|
Cup of brewed coffee (approx.)
Overconsumption of caffeine can lead to dehydration, dizziness, headaches, restlessness and more. So sensible consumption of caffeine is critical to maintain a healthy lifestyle!
Caffeine is also associated with other benefits including:
- Reduces post workout muscle pain by up to 48%
- Reduced risk of Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s
- Men who consume 250-375mg of caffeine per day have a much lower risk of developing ED!
If you're interested, you can learn more about the benefits of caffeine consumption at the Caffeine Informer.
So we've come up with a few pointers to help you make the most out of this magnificent energetic substance:
- Never exceed your 400mg daily recommended limit
- Minimise caffeine consumption after 2-3pm. If you consume a cup of coffee at 6pm, there will still be half of that caffeine in your system 5 hours later. This can impact sleep quality for a lot of people!
- Substitute your (4th or 5th!) coffee with a herbal tea/hot chocolate/decaf/Caro ☕️ something that Hits Different (not caffeinated)!
However you get it, enjoy your caffeine!
Dylan, Owner - Hits Different Drinks
Precision Nutrition L1 Certified
Check out some of our awesome energy drinks with varying caffeine levels here
- East Forged Tea: 27.5-32.5mg caffeine per can
- JOCKO Discipline Go: 95mg per can. Also contains Theobromine which provides a longer-lasting, milder and less jittery energy source than caffeine
*This information is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition.*