In this article you'll learn...
1. A short history of how ginger became so prevalent in the modern world
2. Ginger's incredible health benefits that make it worthy of the name 'Superfood'
Ginger! We're All Familiar With It...
But Why Is It Healthy For Us?
What actually is Ginger?
Ginger comes from the root of a flowering plant that originated in China. Ginger belongs to the Zingiberaceae (zuhn·ji·buh·ray·see) family, with close relatives including turmeric and cardamom.
A Little History First…
Ginger is native to South East Asia and has been known by India and China since ancient times. By around the 1st century, traders had taken ginger to the Mediterranean. Then, in the 11th century it had become commonplace in England.
The Spanish took it to the West Indies and soon after, Mexico. By 1547 ginger was being exported from Santiago to Spain. From there, ginger continued to grow into the ubiquitous remedy, flavouring and spice we know today.
Interesting to know!
So Why Is Ginger Good For Us?
Ginger Contains Gingerol
- This is one of the main bioactive compounds found in ginger
- It has amazing powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties which may help reduce the risk of certain cancers
- Ginger also contains other phenolic compounds such as shogaol and paradol that promote antioxidant, anti-tumor and anti-inflammatory properties
Great For The Fellas
- Ginger has been shown to benefit male reproductive health including seminal motility and sperm count in infertile men
- You can find out more about these benefits and their correlating studies here
Helps Relieve Nausea
Ginger has consistently shown to decrease the symptoms of nausea related to seasickness and pregnancy morning sickness
Can Help Treat Chronic Indigestion
Ginger has been shown to speed up the emptying of the stomach, giving relief to those who struggle with indigestion
What Are Some Easy Ways To Get More Ginger In Our Diets?
Easy Ways To Add Ginger To Your Diet Include
- Enjoy a high quality ginger tea. We recommend letting the tea steep for a good 5 minutes to maximise the nutrient absorption into your hot cuppa
- Add ginger to your cooking or enjoy ginger based dishes (ie Ginger chicken, chicken stirfry, even homemade ginger biscuits!)
- Enjoy a quality ginger beer with pressed organic ginger (like ours here at hitsdifferent.com.au!)
- You can even purchase supplements with ginger in tablet form for a convenient way to increase your ginger intake
There You Have It! Add more of this nutritious root to your diet and benefit from this superfood's natural health benefits.
Learn more about the benefits of Ginger at Examine.com where you can find links to relevant studies
Learn More About Our Healthy Ginger Drinks
This information is not intended to diagnose, treat or cure any medical condition. It is not medical advice and is general in nature. Consult your doctor before commencing any new exercise or diet program.
Don't miss the latest.
Hit the Club!
Get awesome deals, product arrival alerts, updates and more!